Philadelphia PA | 2015 | Completed
St. Raymond’s House is located at 7919 Forrest Avenue in the Cedarbrook neighborhood of Philadelphia. Taken on as a project by Community Ventures the building was built in 1953 and is a three-story, low-rise, 16,600 square foot former vacant convent of the active St. Raymond of Penafort parish that has been rehabilitated and converted into permanent supportive housing with 27 single room occupancy (SRO) rental units. The design team utilized the existing SRO layout and large community spaces of the former convent and added an elevator and upgraded the shared bathroom facilities to meet the needs of the tenants. A staffed kitchen, dining room, offices and meeting space are located on the first floor. The second and third floors each have a community room and warming kitchen. A computer room, laundry facilities, large meeting area and community space are located in the basement. St. Raymond’s House offers permanent rental housing to homeless and vulnerable individuals, who have chronic health conditions. Depaul USA provides case management, education, financial literacy and life skills training designed to stabilize individuals within an independent living facility. In addition to providing much needed affordable housing, the project has created assets for the neighborhood. The local community is actively engaged in volunteering at St. Raymond’s House. Volunteers and program residents grow and harvest vegetables in the organic garden located in the rear of the building. Neighbors utilize the basement meeting space for community meetings weekly.
Photo credit: Domus Construction