Bryn Mawr, PA | 2003 | Completed
Bryn Mawr Presbyterian Church is a 3500-member community church known for its preaching, teaching and music ministries. The interior sanctuary walls of the 1927 structure were originally lined with hollow acoustical tile, considered in the 1920s to be a state-of-the art interior surface material. This coupled with the ceiling design of the sanctuary was not effective at sustaining the sound produced by the pipe organ and choir. After a carefully balanced combination of new ceiling and wall finishes as well as extensive acoustic, mechanical and aesthetic improvements, Bryn Mawr Presbyterian’s magnificent new sanctuary now compliments the congregation’s superb music program. This award winning structure, renovated by Mark B. Thompson Associates has been featured in Faith & Form Magazine and greatly enhanced the churches activities, hosting musical vespers and educational forums in addition to its regular worship services.
Photo credit: Atkin Olshin Schade Architects