Philadelphia, PA | 2011 | Completed
Built by the Christ Church parish, The Neighborhood House Project opened its doors in 1915 to serve the low-income residents of Old City. In the late 1990s, local artists created a demand for unusual, flexible and affordable venues and The Neighborhood House program solidified around the idea to utilize it’s large open spaces. The Christ Church Preservation Trust completed a $10 million capital campaign in 2010, enabling a significant renovation of Neighborhood House by Voith & Mactavish Architects, including an elevator, HVAC system, and the transformation of the building’s fourth floor gymnasium, into a adaptable “brick-box” theater. In 2012, William Penn Foundation made a transformational three-year investment in the space by funding lighting, sound, and other essential equipment, as well salary and overhead support for professional program staff. Now in its sixth year, the Neighborhood House program (NHP), operating under the umbrella of the Trust, houses one of the busiest stages in Philadelphia and will present their first self-produced performances this year.
Photo credit: Voith & MacTavish Architects LLP